Hadestown → Theatre Royal Sydney

 I was living in NYC for a bit when Hadestown was on the rise but I slept on it - huge mistake!! Then it won a Tony Award and all hope was lost trying to get a ticket! So it has been a long time coming to see this special show ๐Ÿฅน

Hadestown reimagines the Greek Myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. The above-ground world resembles a New Orleans Jazz Club, yet times are tough, the seasons are out of balance as Hades keeps Persephone underground. Way down, Hadestown is a factory city with a cool steampunk vibe, ruled by Hades.

Despite the amount of times I’ve listened to the soundtrack, every expectation I had was exceeded seeing this live. The cast have crafted Australia’s own version of the show which I think is really special.

At Sunday’s matinee we had @abigailadrianoo as Eurydice and @samurich_ as Orpheus. The pair were incredible! I cried in anticipation of ‘Wait for Me,’ I cried during it, and then at the ending cried some more. This honestly is a testament to them both because their portrayals were so raw and honest that I was wrecked completely!

@anuchristine as Hermes, @eleroko as Persephone and @adriantamburini_official as Hades were also so incredible, especially vocally! Loved getting to also see the three fates in action too - @jennifer_trijo , @imaniiwilliams and @rrumharas who were amazing storytellers. Anddd the powerful ensemble were also phenomenal, especially during ‘Chant.’

I could go on and on, but I’ll leave it at this: Hadestown grabs you from the first note and doesn’t let go. It is a poignant reminder of the cyclical nature of hope and despair, and when you get to the end, you are ready to experience it all over again. ๐ŸŒน

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CRUSH: The Musical → Adelaide Fringe

The Importance of Being Earnest → State Theatre Company

Phoebs, You’re a Lesbian → Adelaide Fringe